Most of you may associate the hormone melatonin with helping you to sleep. However, studies have revealed this hormone secreted by the pineal gland can double up as much more than just a sleeping aid. Here are the underlying benefits of using melatonin which make it an all-rounder hormone-
Melatonin benefits as follows
- Studies conducted have shown that melatonin can inhibit the production of certain tumors that cause breast cancer. Additionally, women suffering from chemotherapy on using melatonin supplements have shown a reduction in the tumor sizes.
- People who have Fibromyalgia or chronic pains have shown to benefit from using melatonin supplements. Much like a placebo effect, these pills have shown to inhibit the pain.
- Melatonin is perfect for easing Jet lag. Jet lag occurs mostly amongst travelers who travel from different time zones. You can køb melatonin from a variety of outlets for jetlag. In such cases, when the body’s routine gets disrupted, melatonin can bring about balance by regulating the body clock to a new time zone. Perfect for jet lag sufferers.
- The hormone also eliminates elevations in levels of malondialdehyde, and thus eases bladder dysfunction. Moreover, melatonin reduces oxidative stress which helps to reduce age-related bladder dysfunctions.
- Melatonin additionally has anti-inflammatory properties. Thus, it acts as a stimulant in preventing acute inflammation.
- The anti-oxidative properties of melatonin help in preventing tinnitus syndrome. Tinnitus is a condition that causes an uncomfortable ringing in the ears, which is alleviated by the consumption of these pills.
- Melatonin also improves sleep patterns in autistic children thus improving their day-time behavior.
Moving on here is how incorporating melatonin as a dietary supplement helps the body-
While melatonin is the considered nature’s own sleeping pill, there are conditions when the body doesn’t produce adequate melatonin. For example- when suffering from insomnia or sleep disorders, in such cases it’s advised to have melatonin supplements.
Presently, there are 2 types of pills available –
However, doctors prescribe the use of synthetic melatonin pills as these don’t contain organic impurities. Melatonin produced by the pineal gland in organisms often reacts with their tissues and bodily chemicals and get contaminated.
Nevertheless, synthetic melatonin is processed and manufactured in laboratories in controlled conditions, so these give out the same prevailing effects.
As of now, these supplements are made with botanical extracts to make them more nutritious for the body. A person who suffers from prevailing anxiety and stress can, in fact, feel a lingering effect of calmness and bliss if he/she consumes these pills in limited doses.
Additionally, these supplements have strong antioxidant effects which help in boosting the overall immune system in the body. Also for women, melatonin aids in regulating the reproductive cycle like the onset of menopause and the timing of the menstrual cycle.
Melatonin today is available over the counter, you can buy melatonin in various flavors like peppermint and spearmint. For initial users, a minimum amount of 1mg to 3mg is the prescribed dosage.
However, this melatonin sleeping aid can also double up as a supplement for a balanced diet. But, it’s best to consult a physician and get a prescribed dosage, because no two bodies are alike.